Thursday, July 30, 2009

Riever Rising by Athol Dickson

You've heard the term "weaving a story"? That's exactly what this author does. You see little threads come and go. Little pieces that give you just a bit of information, but leave you with more questions than answers, until the end where it all ties up beautifully and every piece makes perfect sense.

This story is history, mystery, and spec fic; three of my favorite genres. It is set in 1927 in the deepest of the deep south, the mouth of the mighty Mississippi. Blacks and whites hang out together at the general store, work together, eat together and shake hands like equals. But when it comes to the most important thing, they can't seem to come together.

This is a Christmas story, yet it isn't set at Christmas and never even mentions it. But it is Emanuel -- God With Us.

For me, reading this book was a bit like being caught up in a river. There were times that it was calm and beautiful and made me smile and then I went under and thought "No, I don't want to go there!" and I was bounced around a bit. Finally I was deposited on the shore at the feet of the one I love most, battered and breathless, but weeping for joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment